Kestrel 5400 Heat Stress Tracker
As for weather reading features, they will be the same. You won't get a 'better' temperature reading, wind reading, etc, or even more readings than available on the 4400/4600... still the same quality USA made meter backed by a 5 year warranty. That being said there are some pretty outstanding updates.
- Flag warnings via loud buzzer & LED beacon!
- Bluetooth LINK works with PC/Mac via Dongle
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series. All 5000 battery doors are the same and interchangeable.
- Slightly larger and improved higher contrast / resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages (English, French, German, Spanish)
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, more robust, though not really noticeable difference.
- Roughly 10,000 data points. 4000 series all had under 5000 data points.
The Kestrel 5400 is revolutionary in size, cost and capability for those in need of measuring Heat Stress. Available with or without LiNK (Bluetooth) and / or a compass.
Along with having a Wet Bulb Global Temperature reading, the Kestrel 5400 displays thermal work limit (“TWL”), another recognized composite heat stress prediction tool. For both WBGT and TWL, the Kestrel 5400 provides on-screen alarms when conditions enter the caution and danger zones, providing clear and immediate guidance that heat illness prevention steps must be taken. Clothing levels can also be customized, making the Kestrel 5400 particularly useful in activities requiring heavy protective gear which worsens heat stress. The Kestrel 5400 also displays natural wet bulb temperature, and black globe temperature.
Athlete deaths from heat exposure are on the rise. Warming summers have been accompanied by weekly reports of athletes young and old collapsing from severe heat-induced illness. Our military training units struggle to keep soldiers healthy while preparing them for the grueling heat of Iraq and Afghanistan. OSHA is campaigning to prevent heat illness in outdoor workers and reports that every year thousands of workers become sick working in the heat, and some even die. In every instance, accurate and localized measurement of heat stress conditions is a key component of a heat illness prevention plan. The Kestrel 5400 Heat Stress Tracker, new from NK, answers this need.
Human heat stress results from a combination of many environmental factors – air temperature and humidity along with radiant heat from the sun and surfaces, balanced by the cooling effect of breezes or air flow. Anyone who has stood under welcome shade adjacent to a sizzling parking lot understands that these conditions must be evaluated exactly where peoples’ activities are taking place. The most common composite measurement used to determine appropriate exposure to heat stress conditions is Wet Bulb Globe Temperature or “WBGT.” The American College of Sports Medicine, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, and the US Military all have published threshold limit values (TLV’s) or reference guidelines for conditions, activity levels and hydration based on WBGT, clothing levels and acclimatization of participants.
TRIPOD SOLD SEPARATELY.
- Sales and Specials
- Infection Control & PPE
- Ankle & Foot
- Athletic Tape
- Bags, Cases & Kits
- Bandages & Wound Care
- Clinical Supplies
- Emergency Response
- Furniture & Equipment
- Hot & Cold Therapy
- Hydration Products
- Knee & Leg
- Lumbar & Cervical
- Padding & Protective Gear
- Rehabilitation Supplies
- Tools & Instruments